Week 13- Bed rest

72AFDC2B-6699-4059-B452-71E1858C0DB0.jpegTuesday started off as one of the most amazing days. I had an appointment with a perinatal doctor and was nervous, but quickly my mood changed once I got there. The first thing they did was an ultrasound of our sweet baby girl. The last time I had one was at 8 weeks, and at that point she was still a tiny spec on the screen. During this appointment she was 100% different!! 

The ultrasound technician took photos of her face, her arms, hands, legs and feet then showed me the blood pumping through her body. It was unreal. What was once just a small blob, now has adorable facial features and it made everything feel much more real. I left with a huge sense of satisfaction and the doctor told me she was growing beautifully! 

That evening after work I was in the kitchen making dinner when all of a sudden I felt something all too familiar… I got the feeling of starting my menstrual cycle and rushed to the bathroom. When I wiped I noticed blood. My heart dropped and I instantly felt sick to my stomach. I yelled for Evan and told him what was going on. I quickly messaged my doula and she suggested that I reach out to the OB on-call at my doctor’s office. 

The on-call OB advised me to go to the emergency room to be looked at. We were so terrified that we couldn’t eat dinner and rushed out the door. Once we were there they did an ultrasound. While they were examining her we saw her still moving, which was a huge relief. After that I provided a urine sample and they did blood work. After being there for 4.5 hours we finally saw the doctor. She explained that I have a hematoma and something called placenta previa. She told us multiple times that it could correct itself or it could cause a miscarriage. This news was heartbreaking. She said it so casual and that infuriated me. 

We got home around midnight and we were exhausted. I decided to call off the next day and reach out to my OB for guidance. My doctor called me that afternoon and put me on bed rest for one week. She said they wanted me on it for two weeks, but I asked her to consider one week and then we can see how I am. As you can imagine, this was a huge surprise after just having an excellent appointment the day before. She said she thinks things will resolve themselves, but in order to do so, I must relax and rest. 

I’m on day 3 of bed rest and I am bored out of my mind, but continuing to remind myself that this baby is worth it. My days have been filled with lots of computer work for my job, HGTV, old episodes of Big Brother, reading and naps with my pups. Sounds lovely, but I am wishing everything was still smooth sailing and that I could be back at work. In the meantime I will soak up the down time and keep this baby baking! 

With this turn of events it has also made our travel plans change. We had booked a trip to Jamaica in February for Evan’s cousin’s wedding, but due to these complications, my OB has advised me to stay home. 😢 I am so sad, frustrated and heartbroken, but again- this baby is my number one priority! 

My next appointment is February 5th, and it can’t come soon enough. I need to see her, hear her and get reassurance that these issues are resolving themselves. In the meantime, I am holding on to the gut feeling that she’s going to be just fine! I will rest as long as I need to in order for this pregnancy to be successful and healthy! 💖 Please send us good vibes and lots of prayers for the days and weeks ahead!


Come on baby girl, keep growing! We love you so much already. 🤰🏼💗

2 thoughts on “Week 13- Bed rest

  1. Hang in there! I had it with one of my baby’s too. It moved on its own. If the doc says two weeks of bed rest then do it. It will help. Take care!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s